Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Whirlwind

Well, it's Saturday night... I think.  Yep that pretty much describes my state of being right now.  I have no idea what day it is most of the time.  I have worn the same GVSU sweatshirt all week long.  Let's just say, I'm pretty worn down.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a really good week, just a really tiring week as well.  I have been getting to know my teammates little by little, going to sessions full of worship music followed by Biblical teaching which always seem to end with a challenge to think about an issue more on our own.  After about the second day, I was ready to spend 3 hours processing the bit of information that proved to be only the tip of the iceberg in terms of all the information we've had hammered into us this week.

I finally got the opportunity to chat with people back home for a little while tonight, as well as scratch out a little time to rest this afternoon.  I'm pretty sure the sustained winds of my thoughts would be equivalent to a category 5 hurricane.

In the midst of all of this, I do know a few things and am able to rest in the thought of some of them.

  1. I fly out in less than 48 hours!!! (not one of the restful thoughts)
  2. Jesus knows all my needs, so I don't need to worry about providing them for myself.  (Luke 12)
  3. Being brought to the point of being needy is what qualifies me as a prime candidate to experience God's life giving gospel of amazing grace.
  4. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.  - Jim Elliot.  This one is not so much restful as much as it provides me with some good perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I love point #3 and I'm living it right now! I'm praying for you all as you fly tonight and start life in the Netherlands tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete